Find out how to apply for VA health care benefits as a Veteran or service member.
How do I prepare before I start my application?
- Find out if you’re eligible for VA health care benefits
- Gather the information listed below that you’ll need to fill out an Application for Health Benefits (VA Form 10-10EZ)
You’ll need this information:
- Social Security numbers for you, your spouse, and your qualified dependents
- Your military discharge papers (DD214 or other separation documents)
- Insurance card information for all insurance companies that cover you, including any coverage provided through a spouse or significant other. This includes Medicare, private insurance, or insurance from your employer.
- Gross household income from the previous calendar year for you, your spouse, and your dependents. This includes income from a job and any other sources. Gross household income is your income before taxes and any other deductions.
- Your deductible expenses for the past year. These include certain health care and education costs.
Note: You don’t have to tell us
What are the basic requirements for a VA loan?
You meet the minimum active-duty service requirement if you served for:
- At least 24 continuous months, or.
- The full period (at least 181 days) for which you were called to active duty, or.
- At least 181 days if you were discharged for a hardship, or a reduction in force.